Damaged teeth are embarrassing, but modern dentistry has state of the art technology to help you deal with this issue. Dr. Frank Skiba offers his patients dental crowns at his Walnut Creek, CA, office to mask unsightly teeth.
Dental Crowns in Walnut Creek
A dental crown is made out of porcelain or ceramic. Unlike veneers, however, crowns don't just cover the front of your teeth. They're caps that fit over the unattractive, decayed, or damaged tooth. Crowns can even be used to replace a missing tooth when your dentist installs a dental bridge over your gums.
- Your dentist will numb the area surrounding the tooth and begin drilling to file down the tooth, so it fits under the crown.
- A crown is designed at a laboratory using impressions taken of your teeth. Your doctor takes impressions of your teeth so that laboratory technicians can mold a crown that'll fit perfectly over your tooth.
- The permanent crown is cemented over the tooth.
- Receiving fluoride treatment and using fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash
- Flossing at least once before bed
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, and drinking too much coffee and tea
- Drinking fluoride-containing water, to prevent issues like gum disease and tooth decay
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, at least, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach areas
- They cover restorative procedures such as dental implants and root canals.
- They give your teeth reinforcement, therefore improving your bite and capability to chew.
- Crowns also support fillings that have been dislocated.
- Several crowns can be used if you have more than one tooth that needs to be covered.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Dr. Frank Skiba at his Walnut Creek, CA, office today!