How your dentist in Walnut Creek, CA, can help you with jaw pain
If you have jaw pain, you shouldn’t ignore it—after all, chronic jaw pain is often a symptom of inflammation in the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ. TMJ problems are complex, and often lead to a chronic condition known as temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMD. Fortunately, here at our office in Walnut Creek, CA, your dentist, Dr. Frank R. Skiba, offers a wide range of services, including TMJ treatment, to help with jaw pain—read on to learn what he can do for you!
About TMJ and TMD Treatment
The TMJ is a complicated joint that slides like a hinge. Due to its unique movement, it can be easily dislocated, sliding in and out of place. Dislocation can lead to inflammation of the joint, and eventually, to permanent joint damage.
There are several noticeable signs and symptoms you may have TMJ issues. Let your dentist know if you are experiencing:
- Chronic aching pain in your face, especially around your ear
- Chronic tenderness and pain in your jaw
- Difficult or painful chewing or biting down on foods
- Popping, clicking, or locking in your jaw when you open and close your mouth
You can try some simple home remedies if you experience any of the signs or symptoms listed above. Consider:
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medication
- Switching to soft foods and avoiding chewing gum or sticky foods
- Trying a nightguard if you are grinding or clenching at night
- Gently massaging your jaw muscles and face
- Applying moist heat or ice to your jaw
If you continue to have symptoms and aren't finding relief from home therapies, it’s time to talk with Dr. Skiba. He may recommend:
- Corticosteroid medications to reduce swelling
- Flushing the TMJ, a process called lavage
- Muscle relaxant, anti-inflammatory, and pain medication
- Custom-fit nightguards or TMJ splints
- Physical therapy and massage
- Laser or TENS therapy
Need relief? Give us a call
Don’t suffer from TMJ pain when effective treatment is just a phone call away. To learn more about your TMD treatment options, call Dr. Frank R. Skiba in Walnut Creek, CA, today by dialing (925) 934-8149.